Explore Parent Resources
We get to know God through the scriptures and use the Bible as the foundation for our faith. As your child grows in their faith, you may have questions: What bible is best? How do I help them read and navigate the Bible at an age-appropriate level? We have some tips, tricks, and resources for you to walk with your child as they grow in their ability to read and understand the Living Word!
Looking for more resources? We would love to help! Email us at [email protected].
- Tips For Reading the Bible with Your Kids
- How to find a passage in the bible for every stage:
- Finding verses with kindergartners: Guide your child to open the Bible to a premarked page. Point to the book title (i.e: Proverbs) at the top of the page as you say it aloud. Then guide your child to find the big number on the page. Explain that this is the chapter number. Finally, guide them to look under the chapter number for the little number; this is the verse number. Tell them to leave their finger on the verse as you read the verse aloud. Then lead everyone to say the verse together.
- Finding verses with 1st – 3rd graders: Guide your child to open the Bible to the front and find the table of contents. Help them as needed. When they find the table of contents, lead them to find the book title (i.e: Proverbs) in the list under “Old Testament” or “New Testament.” Once they find the book title, lead them to look at the page number beside the word. Explain that the number tells your child on what page they can find the book. Help them find the page. When they find the book, explain that the big numbers on the page are the chapter numbers. Help her find the chapter. Explain that the small numbers are verse numbers. Help her find the verse. Read the passage together.
- Finding verses with 4th – 5th graders: Let your child know what book of the Bible you will be reading from. Ask them to tell you whether that’s in the Old Testament or the New Testament. When they find the book, explain that the big numbers on the page are the chapter numbers. Tell them to find the correct chapter. Explain that the small numbers are verse numbers. Tell them to find the correct verse within the passage.
- What bible is appropriate for every stage?
Newborn – Age 4